Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Democratic Party- Oppositions of Civil Rights

The Democratic Party known to some as the oldest political party, were not as active in the bettering of our country when it came to our poor segregated times this which I was not made aware of until I found a blog speaking on this topic called “The Real Democratic Party”(Washington). The democrats in fact passed the Repeal act of 1894 that overturned civil rights laws enacted by republicans. Democratic Party was once known as the slave party to this country (Washington). They looked at slaves as money making machines, which in fact they were but I guess they were blind to the cruel and unusual punishment these slaved were forced to be brought upon them.
The Kansas-Nebraska act of 1854 a bill passed by the democrats, adding more slave states to this country was the first sign of an opposition brought upon banning of slavery (Walker). Though the democrats reasoning came from an economical point of view, it caused major conflict with civil war approaching. The Democratic Party fought to expand slavery while the Republican Party fought to end it (Walker).
The Democratic Party fought against anti-lynching, to show discipline towards all blacks which lead to there displacement of the enforcement act passed by the Republicans which banned the Ku Klux Klan (Johnson). Democrats also opposed educating blacks, realizing that knowledge is power giving blacks there education would of gave them more of a reason to revolt against the unjust laws.
Democrat’s being the oldest party I think it was harder for them to adjust to a new world where African-Americans were treated like human beings. When you see something working and you’re making money off of it, I assume they felt they had no reason to stop. Me being Republican I have other disagreements with the political party as a whole but I can at least see there reasoning behind what they did. Being as old as they were during these unequal times they weren't accepting to blacks being as equal as them over the fear of change. I’m sure a lot of people aren't aware of what the Democratic Party did just to keep slavery going on, I wonder if this can change a person’s opinion on them now. An interesting fact to have you thinking, as of 2004, the Democrat Party (the oldest political party in America) has never elected a black man to the United States Senate, the Republicans have elected three (Washington).


    "The Real Democratic Party." The Real Democratic Party. Ed. Sean M. Washington. The KKK Was The Terrorist Wigs, 3 Apr. 2008. Web. 19 Mar. 2014. <http://realdemocrathistory.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/the-kkk-was-the-terrorist-wing-of-the-democrat-party/>.

Johnson, Peter C. "Anti-Lynching_Democratic Thoughts." RSS. EIB WEB PAGE DISGRONIFIER, 4 Jan. 2005. Web. 19 Mar. 2014. <http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2005/06/15/democrat_filibusters_blocked_anti_lynching_laws2>.

Walker, Anthony M. "Kansas-Nebraska Act." History.com. A&E Television Networks, 23 May 2007. Web. 18 Mar. 2014. <http://www.history.com/topics/kansas-nebraska-act>.

2 comments:

  1. This blog will be used in my final report analyis the blog I mentioned in the article gives, an overall perspective on real facts within this nation. Not to pick sides, but is shows the differences in the nation. I will also put this in my top five blogs there is so much more information involved. Through out all my blogs I have always listed sources so I have a wide range to choose from the most recent articles will most likely be my sources because they speak on the nations enlightenment on the topic at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about the old Democratic Party through a history class at NOVA, and I was pretty surprised. I would tell their past history to others and their response would just be that "times have changed...people change." In my opinion, the whole political party thing is just a game of how to gain power. Thus, Democrats possibly changing their platforms to appease people. Although I knew about the "real" Democratic Party, I had no idea republicans elected a black into senate. It is amusing though, the parties have switched the sides they played in the past.

    ReplyDelete